On the PKBGT, players battle all types of conditions with our year round schedule. This weekend, in particular, the heat index will be well over 100 degrees at multiple PKBGT events. To ensure that players have a fun and safe weekend, we’ve pulled together a few tips to help you beat the heat on the course!
- Make sure you are well hydrated before the event even starts! Avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee before beginning your round.
- ALWAYS fill up your water bottle when you pass a water cooler or hydration station.
- If your parent will have a spectator cart, pack a cooler with water and sports drinks to replenish electrolytes. The PKBGT will have plenty of water available, but it is always a good idea to be prepared.
- Freeze a water bottle the night before to put in your golf bag in the morning. By the time you tee off, your water bottle will be half melted!
- After your round, drink a sports drink to replenish electrolytes.
- If your group is waiting on the group ahead of you, FIND SHADE! There is no need to stand out in the sun if you are having to wait.
- Apply sunscreen before your round and re-apply frequently!
- Wear breathable and loose fitting light colored clothing – avoid tight or dark colors such as black, navy or gray.
- Wear a hat or visor to keep your face out of the sun.
- The night before the event, wet a small towel and freeze inside a gallon freezer bag. During your round, place the cold towel around your neck when walking in between shots.
- If using a pushcart, bring an umbrella to provide temporary shade.
KNOW THE SIGNS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION
- Heavy sweating
- High pulse rate
If you experience ANY of these symptoms, please call the PKBGT rules hotline listed on your scorecard/rules sheet IMMEDIATELY! Player safety is our priority on the PKBGT.
We hope these tips are helpful and that everyone has a safe, cool weekend!